Give that boring Idaho potato a break this week and trade it in for a bright orange sweet potato. This sweet starch is a good alternative for your carbohydrate fix during the week. Pop it in the oven right when you get home as you spend time to decompress from the day. Within an hour load your potato with fresh goodies!
For those that do not eat pork, you can substitute the ham for beef or turkey sausage. However, it’s always heaven when brown sugar and pork link up! Cooking the ham in the brown sugar and butter gives it an amber caramelized color and an added note of sweetness.
This recipe is a guideline, not the rule. You can mix and match whatever toppings you prefer, but make sure you always have a fresh element to balance out the sweetness of the potato. I wanted to add fresh jalapeño, but I forgot to pick it up when I was at the grocery store!The cilantro lime cream brings a tangy earthy tone and is used as a topping. You can also make this cream and dollop on tacos or fajitas. I chose red onions because the bite is far less abrasive than a yellow or white onion. Red onions are slightly softer in pungency while green onions are even milder and refreshing.
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
- ½ cup cubed ham
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 oz. sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- ½ lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 green onion stalk chopped
- ½ small red onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Line baking sheet with foil or parchment paper
- Throughly wash potatoes removing any dirt
- Place potatoes on baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes - 1 hour until tender
- In a small saucepan saute garlic, ham, and brown sugar in butter on medium to low heat for 10 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl combine sour cream/greek yogurt, juice of ½ lime, and fresh cilantro together.
- Once potatoes are soft, remove from oven
- Slice open the potatoes and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add remaining ingredients as toppings - green onion, red onion, parmesan cheese and cubed ham
- Finish with a dollop of cilantro lime cream!