I always need a cup of soup on the days when the rain oscillates between a downpour and a slight drizzle. That type of back and forth weather automatically calls for me to have a bad hair day. And of course, these rainy days always happen during the week when I don’t have time to simmer a pot of vegetable-hearty soup on the stove for an hour or so. It’s already dark by the time I walk into the house, and all I want to do is hop into the bed. If you ever have these similar feelings, this roasted tomato soup recipe will come in handy. Within 30 minutes, you have a robust bowl of creamy tomato soup to warm your insides, while you sit in front of the TV or your laptop catching up on the latest gotta-watch Netflix series.
The very pleasant (and healthy) aspect of this soup is that it’s vegan—and this was totally was unintentional. I made a version on the soup before and featured it on my Instagram stories originally using heavy cream as the creamer. However—to my surprise—my DM’s were filled with people inquiring about an alternative ingredient to the heavy cream. I automatically suggested coconut milk. It gives you the creaminess that you expect in a smooth soup, but it also has its own dose of natural fats that adds to the body and thickness of the soup. Instead of reaching for the Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top, I opted for briny capers. They add a burst of saltiness and texture.
In preparing this soup, you will find out how easy and no-fuss it is to make. If you are not on the vegan boat, but still appreciate the recipe as-is, you can serve this creamy soup with a gooey grilled cheese sandwich or a piping hot Cuban sandwich. The soup can also accompany a leafy green salad or a grain salad. And if you are really hankering for milk fat or you are not a fan of coconut milk, go ahead and use the cream in its place.
- 1 lb plum tomatoes (about 8)
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1½ cups vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon thyme leaves
- Fresh basil (about 6 leaves) or dried basil (1 teaspoon)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Cut tomatoes in thick slices and place them on a baking sheet in a single layer. Season with salt and black pepper, and drizzle over coconut oil.
- Add the onion and garlic cloves to baking sheet.
- Roast tomatoes for 15 to 20 minutes or until slightly caramelized. (Tip:Wrap the garlic in a small piece of foil with a splash of oil to prevent them from burning.)
- Warm the vegetable stock and coconut milk together in a separate pan or warm together in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl. Add roasted vegetables, warmed stock mixture, basil, and thyme to the blender and blend until smooth. (Be careful when blending hot liquids! You may need to open the lid halfway through blending to vent the hot steam.) You can also use a hand blender to puree the soup.
- Add more salt if needed. Enjoy immediately.